Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Styl'd to a "T"

Yesterday my friends at What's Haute asked a great question : "How did you get into styling?" So here's my story......

I've always had a knack for style and my friends came to me with their wardrobe troubles. While attending school at FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) in San Francisco, I had a talk with my career counselor. I told her what I wanted to do and she immediately shut me down. She gave me this lame schpill about how most ppl are only stylists part time and it's not realistic for me to expect to make a career out of styling. What a bitch! But that was all I needed to get my fire burning and develop my love of style into a career. So I scoured the pages of craigslist to find a stylist needing an assistant. I found one, sent a reply, scheduled an interview and the rest is history. She gave me the start I needed to boost my confidence and totally step out on faith. I got my first tear sheets and networked my way into styling photoshoots. Being a stylist is hard work but for the first time in my life, I truly enjoy what I do. Today's lesson: Always follow your dreams inspite of what others may say. My next step is getting represented by an agency. STAY TUNED!

Be sure to subscribe to our blog & get your daily dose of ME delivered to your inbox!

***Your comments are ALWAYS welcome***

1 comment:

What's Haute said...

that's great! i asked because i wanted to be a stylist way back when. of course my mom said it wasn't practical, so i followed HER dreams while in college. now i'm following mine and working in the fashion industry in various forms. i'm glad you followed your dreams. kudos to you!

thanks for sharing.